Friends of the Library are wild about books!
The Friends of the Library organization is a major benefactor for our library system. In a time of regular and continual funding decreases from traditional funding sources, the Friends provide both a flexible source of revenue and much needed manpower through volunteer efforts. The Friends also donate materials which enhance the library’s collections and stock our Back Door Bookstore, another major source of our revenue.
With the help of Friends of the Library, the South Georgia Regional Library System has reached a materials level of 2.6 items per person for the service area. But, the Friends aspire to have an ‘excellent’ system by state standards, which requires four items per person. This means that at least $1,000,000 must be raised to achieve our goal.
Friends of the Library are concerned citizens who share the belief that a strong public library is the informational, educational, cultural, and recreational heart of the community. Friends support the library by being advocates who communicate the value of the library to elected officials and to the general public.
Join us today in becoming a member of the Friends of the South Georgia Regional Libraries.
In 2009, the Friends of the Library would like to:
- Increase the scope and depth of the library collections.
- Upgrade patron computers.
- Develop quality programming.
- Improve and promote library services.
The Friends of the Library Back Door Bookstore is located in the rear of the Valdosta-Lowndes County Library, located at 300 Woodrow Wilson Drive in Valdosta. All proceeds from your purchases are used to buy new books for the library.
10 a.m. - 1 p.m. every Tuesday
11 a.m. - 2 p.m. every Saturday
New Books Added Weekly!
FOL Back Door Book Sale Prices!
Videos 2 dollars
Adult Hardbacks 1 dollar
Adult Paperbacks 50 cents
Child Hardbacks 50 cents
Child Paperbacks 25 cents
Questions? Call 229-333-0086.
The Friends of the Library Bookstore also holds occasional Sunday hours, special 3-day sales and yearly clearance sales in addition to the daily book sales in the lobby of the Valdosta Library.
The one-year FOL membership benefits include an invitation to our Annual Meeting, Friends-only events, and mailed copies of the newsletter, Open Book. In addition, many interesting volunteer opportunities are available to members.
Membership forms (PDF format) are available on this website. (If you have trouble opening the PDF, you can download the latest version of Acrobat Reader for free).
We are not able to accept memberships or money by Internet. Please print and mail the completed form and donation check. Call 229-333-0086 with any questions. Once payment has been received, your form will be processed and you will begin receiving your membership benefits immediately.
All contributions are tax-deductible.
Silver Patron $500
Gold Patron $1,000
Include your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Please make checks payable to FRIENDS OF SGRL, INC. and mail to:
Friends of the South Georgia Regional Libraries, Inc.
P.O. Box 5511
Valdosta, GA 31603
1. Attend a city or county commission meeting and take the opportunity to thank its members publicly for supporting the library.
2. Write a letter to a member of the city or county commission letting them know how much you value the library.
3. Speak up for libraries at community groups you belong to, such as the PTA, Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Garden Club, etc. Invite your library director or branch manager to attend a meeting and talk about your library’s services and its needs.
4. Send a letter to the editor of the newspaper expressing how important the library is to you and your community.
5. Join the Friends of the Library.
6. Volunteer your time. The library can always use extra hands so ask your local branch manager how you can help!
7. Consider a tax-deductable gift to the library. The library offers memorial programs which allows you to give in honor of a loved one.
8. Include the library in your estate planning.
9. Develop a short “elevator speech” (just a sentence or two) that will help you quickly explain to others why libraries are more important than ever and use it when you have an opportunity to encourage others to get involved.
10. Take a friend or relative, or even a class to the library. Show them what you enjoy about the library and encourage them to get a library card of their own.
We will try to keep you up to date on upcoming events and special items that involve the Friends, as they occur. Check back here periodically for updates. If you have any questions or comments please contact us at FOL@sgrl.org.